Saturday, October 1, 2011

'About Me' - My first Rostrum Speecch

I bet a few of you have seen the movie Anger Management.

By starting a sentence in that way, perhaps you're all thinking I'm about to tell you I have anger problems.
I don't.

But there is a particular scene in the movie Anger Management which helps to illustrate just how difficult it is for me to tell you 'About Me.'

As the scene goes, the character Dave, played by Adam Sandler, is participating in his first of many Anger Management group therapy sessions, led by Dr Buddy Rydell, played by one of my favourite actors, Jack Nicholson.

The group of approximately 10 is sitting on chairs in a circle. And as it's Dave's first session, Dr Rydell turns to him and says, "Tell us about yourself, who are you?"

To which Dave answers, "Well, I'm an executive assistant at a major pet products company.

Dr Rydell interrupts: "Dave, I don't want you to tell us what you do, I ant you to tell us who you are."

Dave tries again, "Oh, alright, um ... I'm a pretty good guy, I like to play tennis."

Rydell butts in again: "also, not your hobbies Dave. Just simple, tell us who you are.

This twoing and froing between the two stars of the film continues a little longer until the point where Dave really loses his cool.

You see his leg start to shake and the agitation on his face builds.

"I don't know what you want me to say," he cries, in pure frustration

This outburst is basically the end of the scene.

It's a good scene to illustrate just how difficult it is to describe who you are.

I can tell you about my hobbies: rowing, hiking, drinking coffee, visiting bookshops and wineries, being in th country.

I can even describe my personality: typically easygoing but not afraid to stand up for what I believe in.

Apparently these answers wouldn't stanud up to Dr Rydell's interrogation.

But in all honesty, I'm a work in progress. I guess I'm still working out who I am. So you may just have to read a few more of my blogs so I can tell you more 'About Me'.

No comments:

Post a Comment