Sunday, April 6, 2014

Cutting my Curls to raise Cash for Cancer

I received an email from a long-time friend recently.

And it wasn't good news.

One of her good friend's two-year-old daughter has been diagnosed with Acute Lymphblastic Leukaemia.

The little girl's prognosis is good, but she is still facing two-and-a-half years of chemotherapy and all sorts of other horrendous testing and surgeries.

Understandably, her mother feels devastated and helpless.

But - given she can't do much else - this brave woman is taking part in the Leukaemia Foundation's World's Greatest Shave.

As the mother of a four-month-old baby girl, this story touched my heart.

I don't have a lot of money to donate to the cause. But, I do have hair. And, I know a lot of people.

Therefore, I am also going to shave off my precious locks. I'm going to sponsor myself $5 for doing so. And, I am requesting that each of you also donate $5 to the cause.

My goal is to raise $2000, so I need 399 people (plus myself) to donate $5. And, if I can manage that, then my participation has been worthwhile.

D-day is May 3, at a time and place to be determined.

Please click on the following link to sponsor me. The process is simple.

http://my.leukaemiafoundation.org.au/booradleyrows

Today, 31 Australians will get the news they have blood cancer. Your donation will help the Leukaemia Foundation to fund its important work – providing practical and emotional support to people with blood cancer, as well as investing millions in research.







2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your cause, Amber; I'm Burk Ketcham's daughter-in-law, just retired from teaching in a large public high school. Many of my colleagues have fund-raised similarly and very successfully to support beloved cancer-patient friends and family members and the research efforts that could/will benefit current and future cancer patients. Their hairlessness created in all of us an ongoing mindfulness of the widespreadness of cancer and the challenges faced by cancer patients and their families. Wishing you, your friend, and your friend's little daughter all the best in your respective efforts to help, heal, and just plain get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan, thank you for your kind and insightful message. I was lucky enough to raise about $2500. Warm wishes, Amber

      Delete